Energy Assistance Scheduling Information, Updates, and FAQ’s

COVID-19 Updates:

* Due to the pandemic, our offices are still closed to the general public until further notice. Therefore, ALL APPOINTMENTS will be conducted by PHONE. Please do not come to the office for your appointment; you will not be seen. If you do not have a reliable phone, please contact our office for other arrangements.

* We have new COVID-related and arrearage programs available.

*NEW: We now have assistance for those with water or sewer past due bills.  If you are behind on your water or sewer bill or facing disconnection of service, please call your county’s Energy Assistance Team.  Please see information at the bottom of the page for your local Energy Assistance team.

* Program guidelines have recently changed. If you were denied in the past due to income, please contact us to see if you are eligible. 

*NEW:  Starting October 2021, PSE customers with low-to-modest incomes may qualify for bill assistance.  Please call us to see if you qualify for the PSE HELP program.

* You do not have to be carrying a balance to receive assistance. We also do not count stimulus checks, unemployment pandemic extra benefits ($300/wk), or tax refunds towards your income.

Whatcom & Island Counties:

Island County:  Appointments are still available for the summer 2022 for crisis or non-crisis situations.  Please call to schedule an appointment.

Whatcom County:  We are currently only open for crisis situations as we have filled our non-crisis appointments through July 2022. Please note crisis qualifications below.  We are currently scheduling crisis for water/sewer bills that are past due or at risk of disconnection.  Please call the Energy Scheduling Line for more information.

Please see our notice above for specifics based on the county you live in. As all scheduled appointments will be by phone, we will need a VALID, working phone number to reach you for your scheduled appointment.

Crisis appointments will be open to those who primarily heat with propane, heating oil, or wood.  To qualify for a crisis, your propane or oil tank must be at or below 10% remaining, or have less than a 7 day supply of wood, or be at risk of disconnection from your electric/gas/water/sewer utility with a 72-hour notice.  For water/sewer, you will need to be past due.  Crisis appointments will still be very limited and on a first-come, first-served basis.  Once we fill crisis for the week, more will be available the following Monday.

We will have multiple scheduling opportunities throughout the year so keep checking back for updates.

Energy Assistance is not just a winter program but year-round. It is an income-eligible program–you do not have to be behind on your utility bill to receive assistance.

San Juan County:

LIHEAP is offered through your local community & family resource centers on Lopez, Orcas, and San Juan Islands. To apply for LIHEAP or other programs that may be available, please contact them directly.

To schedule an appointment, please contact us below:

Whatcom County Residents:   Call (360) 255-2192 – Monday through Thursday: 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm; or schedule online here.

Island County Residents:  Call (360) 679-6577 – Monday through Thursday: 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm, Friday: 9am-12pm. Online scheduling not currently available.

San Juan County Residents:  Please contact your local family/community resource center for more information to see if you may be eligible.

  • Lopez Island Family Resource Center: Call (360) 468-4117 – Monday through Friday: 10am-2pm
  • Orcas Community Resource Center:  Call (360) 376-3184 – Monday through Wednesday & Friday: 9am-3pm
  • Joyce L. Sobel Family Resource Center:  Call (360) 378-5246 – Monday-Thursday 9am-2pm and Friday 9am-4pm