Help Paying Rent

Opportunity Council administers the Federal Emergency Rental Assistance program for residents in Whatcom, Island, and San Juan Counties. Other counties are served by Department of Commerce partners. Visit the Department of Commerce to find the agency serving your area.

Whatcom, Island and San Juan county’s rent assistance program is currently operational per Proclamation 21-09.

Applying for help
Other Housing Help
Help with other basic needs

News Bulletin

  • Whatcom County Rental Assistance to have more opportunities to request an appointment! Every Monday, the online Rental Assistance form that is on this page will be open for requests. If you haven’t heard from us by Friday of that week, please apply again the following Monday.
  • Eviction Moratorium Bridge Proclamation
  • Eviction Moratorium Bridge Proclamation FAQs
  • Eviction Defense Screening Line through the Northwest Justice Project: 1-855-657-8387


Tenants must meet all 3 of the following eligibility requirements: Income is at or below 80% of the Area Median Income over the past 60 days; Experiencing financial hardship directly or indirectly due to the COVID-19 outbreak that threatens the household’s ability to pay the costs of rental property when due; or at risk of experiencing homelessness or currently experiencing housing instability (at risk of losing housing, late on rent, late on utilities , unsafe or unhealthy living conditions, etc.). Households that are at or below 50% Area Median Income AND have one or more individuals who are unemployed and have been unemployed for 90 days before application date receive priority for appointment scheduling. Please choose your county below to view the Area Median Income.

Number in Household


2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 50% AMI $27,950 $31,950 $35,900 $39,900 $43,100 $46,300 $49,500 $52,700
80% AMI $44,700 $51,050 $57,450 $63800 $68,950 $74,050 $79,150 $84,250
Number in Household


2 3 4 5 6 7


50% AMI $27,300 $31,200 $35,100 $39,00 $42,150 $45,250 $48,400 $51,500
80% AMI $43,700 $49,950 $56,200 $62,400 $67,400 $72,400 $77,400 $82,400
Number in Household 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
50% AMI $28,400 $32,450 $36,500 $40,550 $43,800 $47,050 $50,300 $53,550
80% AMI $45,450 $51,950 $58,450 $64,900 $70,100 $75,300 $80,500 $85,700

How to Apply Where you Live

Click on your county below to learn more about applying for rental assistance.

Those behind on their rent should call the Island County Housing Resource Center at 360-678-8284. For more information, please visit

Rental Assistance Application – San Juan Renters

Rental Assistance Application – San Juan County Landlords

Those in need of assistance but unable to complete an online application or who have other questions may call (360) 734-5121 ext 1308.


The online application will open on this page every Monday at 8:00 AM.

If you are a Veteran or needing other resources, please call the Community Resource Center at 360-734-5121 option 3.

Please print a copy of this page to indicate that you have attempted to receive Rental Assistance through Opportunity Council.

Other counties are served by Department of Commerce partners. Visit the Department of Commerce to find the agency serving your area.


Tenants applying for rental assistance must supply the documentation listed below.

Documentation of all sources of income received in the past 30 days (fixed income), 60 days (income that is not fixed) or for the past year (2020) for all household members: pay stubs, child support, DSHS, Social Security, unemployment, W-2, tax filings, etc. Income documentation must be from the source.

Copy of current past due utility bill, past due rent notice(with documentation showing which months are due), eviction notice, or documentation of unsafe or unhealthy living conditions

A copy of lease/rental agreement or letter from the landlord showing rent address and monthly amount. Additional documentation will be required if the landlord is not listed as the owner of the property on the County’s assessor website (established Property Management companies are excluded from this requirement).

Legal Help

If you have questions regarding your rights as a tenant or if you have received an eviction notice and have questions, please contact legal aid or go online for information on your options.

Click here for up to date information on eviction law during COVID-19.

Call the Clear Line 1-888-201-1014, Mon-Fri 9:15 AM to 12:15 PM, or complete the online application for services here. Seniors (age 60 and over) can also call CLEAR*Sr at 1-888-387-7111.

Call 360-671-6079 ex 15 and leave a message with your name and number clearly stating that you have received an eviction notice, or the intent of your call.

Washington State Attorney Generals website

Dispute Resolution

If you are looking for help with improving communication, increase understanding, negotiating payment or repayment plans, discuss deposits and move out timelines, address lease agreements and other related issues, and empower parties to determine their own solutions, please click on your county below for Dispute Resolution Centers.