AmeriCorp*VISTA members work in organizations throughout the United States to develop programs that prevent or reduce poverty in our country. The Opportunity Council is an “umbrella agency” for VISTA projects in Whatcom County. Organizations can apply for a project through us rather than going directly to the State Office. This allows us to monitor the distribution of VISTAs in the community, offer technical assistance to each organization, and provide a direct contact person here in Bellingham for participating organizations.
1111 Cornwall Avenue
Bellingham, Washington 98225
Telephone: (360) 734-5121 ext. 318
Current VISTA Projects
- Lydia Place
- Explorations Academy
- LAW Advocates
- Northwest Youth Services
- Opportunity Council – Whatcom Asset Building Coalition
- Opportunity Council- East Whatcom Regional Resource Center
- ReUse Works- Ragfinery
- Whatcom Council on Aging
- Whatcom Family and Community Network
- Whatcom County Health Department
- Understand the VISTA program and philosophy by reviewing the information at this site: http://www.americorps.gov/for_organizations/apply/vista.asp
- Contact the VISTA project manager to discuss available openings and the feasibility of your project.
- Submit your project idea using (A) The AmeriCorps VISTA concept paper and (B) The OC VISTA Application Questions.
Concept papers in Whatcom,County can be requested from and sent to the address listed above.
To search for projects in any state that are currently recruiting volunteers please visithttps://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do.
To review projects that are sub-sponsors to the Opportunity Council located in Whatcom County, quick search using the following selections:
- Program Type: Americorps VISTA
- State: Washington
- Program Name: “Opp. Council”
All of our projects that are looking for a recruit will be listed with the Opportunity Council’s name first followed by the agency name
(example: Opp. Council – American Red Cross.)
You may also contact local organizations directly using the information on our main page.
VISTA members meet as a group every month to receive training, network with other VISTAs, and discuss needs and questions with the Opportunity Council’s project manager. These meetings are mandatory unless there is some non-negotiable scheduling conflict.
- See the Volunteer section of the Online VISTA Campus:http://www.vistacampus.org