SHIBA: Medicare Advising
SHIBA (Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors) is a free, confidential, and impartial counseling resource sponsored by the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner.
Volunteer SHIBA advisors are highly trained and experienced to counsel Medicare-eligible residents of all ages and backgrounds. They will help you understand your rights and options, and offer up-to-date information so that you can make informed decisions concerning your health insurance needs.
SHIBA advisors can help you with:
- Understanding the various aspects of Medicare such as benefits, enrollment, costs, plan differences, and more.
- Evaluating, comparing, and enrolling in options available in Whatcom County as approved by the Office of the Insurance Commissioner.
- Screening and enrolling in cost-saving programs such as Extra Help, Medicare Savings Programs, and prescription assistance options.
- Reporting fraud, complaints, grievances, and appeals to the OIC or your insurance company.
- Connecting to adjacent services and assistance at other agencies and programs such as SSA, CMS, DSHS, HCA, VA, PEBB, WA HealthPlanFinder, Northwest Regional Council, etc.
Public SHIBA presentations and seminars are available to your group or organization. Please contact us with inquiries at (360) 788-2725.
Become a SHIBA volunteer
Help your friends, neighbors and family learn more about health insurance and public programs! SHIBA Volunteers receive 30 hours of basic health insurance training, monthly updates, and ongoing supervision and support by a staff member of the Office of the Insurance Commissioner. To express interest or learn more, please contact the SHIBA Program at:
(360) 788-2725 or email@example.com.