The Opportunity Council’s board of directors elected officers at their April 26 meeting in Bellingham.
Elected board officers are:
- President: Steve Jones, Nooksack Valley School District board member
- Vice President: Rick Hughes, San Juan County Council
- Treasurer: Paul Stermer, Phillips 66 Ferndale Refinery
- Secretary: Rebecca Boonstra, East Whatcom Community Council
- Officer At Large: Mark Tompkins, San Juan County Health & Community Services
- Past President: Mamie Lackie, Whatcom County Public Defender
The Opportunity Council is a community action agency governed by a volunteer board of directors equally representing the private, public and low-income sectors of Island, San Juan and Whatcom counties. The agency provides community programs that include housing, food resources, energy assistance, weatherization, early learning programs, child care resources and more.